Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Step Back In Time

Today I went over to my folks and two of my cousins (Rose and Ivan) were there with pictures that Rose had scanned into her computer from old slides and photos. What fun it was looking at pictures of our dads when they were kids, our grandparents before they had kids, our great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents. There were also some of the farm where our dads great up. It was the farm where my grandmother was born and lived her whole life except for the last 2 or 3 years. There were pictures of my dad and mom before they were married and some after. There were even a couple of me when I was a little over a year. One was one of my favorite pictures of me -- sitting on my haunches with my dad's work cap on "helping" him do some carpentry work. He was knelt down with a saw in his hand and a piece of lumber in the other. We asked him today what project he was working on but he couldn't remember. It was a fun afternoon. Dad told us all kinds of stories, most of which I had never heard.

It's the first time my two cousins and I had ever sat down and spent an afternoon just talking and reminising. We should do it more often. Their other brother and sister and my two brothers really missed out on a fun afternoon. A memory was made today.

No comments: