Friday, May 29, 2009

Mt. Holly, NJ

Mt. Holly is another historic city near Karen. Again, lots of cool doors and churches and other buildings too.

I love this door to a church that will show up later in this post.


Even back in the 1800's they built duplexes. Well, sort of. It's interesting that even though the houses are built right together, the bricks are different.

Another door that got my attention.


If I remember correctly this is a Presbyterian church.
A side door to the above church.

The Methodist Episcopal Church. It has one stone attached to it with a date of 1775. A stone built into it has a date of 1883 or 1863. I had a hard time figuring it out.

I love the spires on this church. I need to find out the name of the church.

Recognize the door?
This is the Burlington County Court House built in 1796. Samuel Lewis was the architect.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Was doing a search for pics of the churches of Mt. Holly...so first, thanks for yours! second, the church corner marker is 1883 (that was tough to read...) and it is actually not a "Methodist Episcopal" church...two very different religions 8) It is just Methodist, and is actually the oldest historic bldg in Mt. Holly at this point (original)Its official name is First United Methodist Church of Mt. Holly.
The church with the amazing spires is actually the Episcopal church...and it's official name is St. Andrew's Episcopal Church!

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right, Suzanne, about the Methodist church. I don't know how come I got mixed up on there. Thanks for the info on it.

Have you ever noticed how many Episcopal churches have red doors?

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I had a ball taking them.