Monday, October 13, 2008

Milkweeds - A memory from childhood

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

Sunday as I was driving along I kept seeing these white cottony things growing in the fields.  I couldn't figure out what they were but I decided they would make a great picture.  Kind of made me think of what cotton might look like.  Finally my curiosity got the best of me and I stopped at this field.

When I realized what it was, I was immediately taken back to my childhood when we had these growing in our field.  I have not seen these in a hundred years at least.   When they are still green and you break them open you get a sticky white milky substance all over your hands.  That would be the reason they are called milkweeds.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Once they dry they are so pretty.  Many people use the pods in floral arrangements once the seeds have all blown out. 

1 comment:

DonnaMundinger said...

Wow, this took me back too! Been in CA almost 29 years. Maybe they don't grow out here. Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog. You're gonna love your Cricut. It's not that unlikely that we may meet some day. My husband grew up in Muskegon and my MIL still lives there half the year.

Donna